The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

28 December 2008

Hobbitish

Have just finished another installment of The Lord of the Rings and I think, after everything, I'd like to be a hobbit.They are simple, peaceful, homey, companionable... content. I used to want to be an elf, but as well as lacking roughly six inches, I'm afraid I'd soon find it a tiresome business to be forever drifting about, being all ethereal. Of course, the elves are somewhat glamorous and oh so elegant, but I can't imagine them sitting around the table, enjoying a toothsome meal with some animated conversation; they'd as soon stand wispily about, composing odes to the stars. While that may have some appeal (if the composing is done while dressed in flowing robes, and I had those six inches) even elegance would be wearing after thousands of years. Perhaps that's why elves went to war, while hobbits stayed happily at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment