The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

21 January 2009

The Elect now is.

The Big Event finally took place - the 44th President of the United States was sworn into office. And what an event it was! It was obviously a day that captured the imagination and fired the hope of many people - and not just in the U.S.

I was not excited about him during the campaign. I believed that my political ideology took a different path from his. I still think it does. The fact that he is a black man does not figure with me, but I do see how it is historically significant and of no small account for African Amercians today. Indeed, for 'people of colour' everywhere. (My applogies, but I always feel uncomfortable with those racial labels)

As he spoke his inaugural address, and the day went on, I realized that I too was stirred to hope that he would be able to effect real change in how government operates; that he would break down the wall of partisanship; neutralize party politics; and inspire his fellow Americans with the idea that flourishing as a nation requires a group effort. He seems to believe that anything is possible and that no dream is too big. 

I truly do hope that he is able to blaze new trails to this land of dreams and possibilites he believes in. He spoke of accountability and responsibility and dignity - and those are words that mean something. They imply maturity and wisdom - something that would be unexpected but welcome from a 47 year-old political neophyte. God bless President Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment