The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

01 January 2009

Rest in peace

My Pop 1940-2008

The moment I had greatly feared for so long happened on December 30, 2008. My father passed away. He died peacefully; at peace with himself, his family and most importantly with his God. We know he now is at rest, and we are so thankful that he is no longer in pain, no longer cold, no longer tired. He looked after us all so very well, for so very long. What words are there, that a grateful daughter could write to properly honour her father? I have always thought him to be the best man I know; he was a man of integrity, character, honesty, and wit. People have been telling me what a strong physical presence he had, but to me it was all about his mind. I admired him so much for his intelligence, and his pursuit of truth. And I enjoyed him so much for his humour and the delight he took in finding the silly things in life.

I love you, Pop. I always will. Thank you for everything. You were a good father, and I remind you that your job is not done yet! Pray for us, as we pray for you. I hope with everything in me that I will stand beside you someday. Rest in peace, beloved man.

3 comments:

  1. As I have tears welling up reading these words you have written about your father, I am again impressed by your ability to so beautifully put into words what is in your heart. Your father must be so proud of you!! What is so awesome is that you are now closer to him than you have ever been before!...enjoy that gift from our Heavenly Father. xo A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also want to add how much you look like Pop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is your Lenten prayer buddy- reading all of your blog and trying to learn more about you. Your posts on grief are beautiful and go straight to my heart. Know that I am praying He turns your mourning into dancing.

    ReplyDelete