The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

25 February 2009

Gambling and ashes

An Episode in the life of Martina Bellini, curly-headed nursing student



Gambling and ashes.


I was sitting in the student centre yesterday – between exams – which were really hard! – when someone dropped a pamphlet about gambling on my lap. At first I was surprised and baffled, but then I started to wonder: do I look like someone with a gambling problem? I dress the same as the other girls, though I do wear these really cute boots sometimes (I got them on sale last spring and they make me feel very tall.) and I never wear pyjama pants to school. I have firm opinions on inner wear as outer wear.

It’s true I’m often on my computer, but I’m hardly on gambling sites! I have no idea what I’d bet on anyway. I follow soccer, but the games are already stressful enough I don’t need to make them anymore exciting! I’m usually chatting with Theresa, and we’re certainly not laying odds on anything. We might occasionally say things like: I bet it’s cold out – but that can hardly qualify me for a “Hazards of Gambling and the ruin it will bring your family” pamphlet, does it? I usually mention my assignments and papers, so it even counts as school work, I’d say.
I shouldn’t let it occupy my mind as much as it has, but it has. I didn’t notice the guy give pamphlets to anyone else so he meant it specifically for me. I wonder what it means?

That wasn’t the only random thing about yesterday: my priest came to talk to me. Well, he’s not my personal priest -- he’s pastor of the parish I go to. There I was, sitting in the student centre – just a few minutes after the gambling guy made me question my character – when I looked up, and there was Father Baxter. Turns out he didn’t come on campus just to talk to me, but in walking through, he recognized my hair (which is particularly wild today) and stopped to chat. I wonder if I should have mentioned the gambling thing to him?

Anyway, he brought up the fact that Lent is starting soon. I pretended I was totally aware of it, but my heart jumped into my throat a little. That means the school year is nearly done! Ack! How does this happen? Every year, I feel like I’m just getting the hand of things academically, when it begins winding down again.

So, Lent. That’s another thing that catches me by surprise every year. I’d dearly like to prepare for it beforehand, really consider thoughtfully what to give up or what to do for these forty days. (I must also find out if Sundays count or not. It seems pretty cheap to take a break on Sundays, but then Sundays are supposed to be celebratory aren’t they? It’d be a very great challenge, but I feel like I should give up chocolate. Thing is, there are days when chocolate is a medical necessity! I’m not addicted to it, you understand, I just need it!

Writing it down makes it official, so here goes: after careful reflection, I’m going to give up chocolate, Cheezies, and Youtube. And gambling.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I liked this one!!! So glad she's going to give up gambling too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be tough for her, but I do have a feeling she will persevere!

    ReplyDelete