The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

23 March 2009

Martina - Boots

An Episode in the life of Martina Bellini, curly-headed nursing student

Boots

I am back at the health sciences library. I wore a different jacket today and put my hair up as a disguise so the shushing librarian wouldn’t recognize me. I am going to accomplish a serious amount of work this afternoon. Libraries always make me feel studious: it’s all about location, location, location. A living room says, “pssst… come and relax” and a bedroom says, “you really need a nap”, but a library says, “shhhh...there is a great deal of serious work being done here”, so you just have to join in, right?

There’s one small problem. I bought fab new boots, and they’re rather...tall, so my knees don’t fit under the table. I have to sit twisted to the side, which is becoming a tad uncomfortable. I’ve tried balancing the laptop on my knees, but I also need to look at my books, which I have propped up against the walls of the cubicle, so I was swivelling one way to read the texts, then the other way to compose my notes. This is unacceptable! They really need to make these desks taller.

Have you noticed it requires a great deal more effort to climb stairs when you are in tall shoes? Not to mention the disorientation of things like counters and stoves being generally lower than you’re used to as you’re perched so much higher up than usual. I don’t feel particularly tall most days, which is why I went hunting for boots with heels, and was so excited to find these. First of all, they have a really good heel on them; secondly they are super cute; thirdly, and best of all, they were on sale! How great is that? They’ve taken some getting used to (something in the hip action needs adjusting still), but I must say I’m very pleased with my find. And I love how confident I feel as I stride purposefully down the street in them! Striding purposefully in high heels through the library brings you a lot of disgruntled stares however, so I had to tip toe ever so quietly to my desk. Fortunately the shushing librarian didn’t notice me because there was a girl eating Doritos over by the windows.

Anyway, the primary reason for the Great Boot Hunt was a blind date with a guy I was told was very tall. I didn’t have a thing to wear, which is always an acceptable reason to go shopping! Good thing I found those boots, ‘cause the evening (and the guy) was nothing to write home about. I won’t even go into details here, mainly because I don’t remember much about it (or him).

I’ve spent the past half hour just admiring my fab new boots. I really need to get on this assignment now. Drat…if only I fit under this desk properly!

No comments:

Post a Comment