The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

26 July 2009

Home

I am home again. And I have been home this weekend. I spent a day in a place that has evidence of the Hand of God everywhere: the landscape is beautiful, the people are kind and sincere, their faith is earnest. The topography is somewhat rugged - it's easy to believe the Voyageurs were there just yesterday, as man has had very little impact on the terrain in that area. For example, across the lake there was a cabin in a tiny clearing hacked out of the dense woods. If the owners left it for just a year or two, wilderness would reclaim the land once more, leaving little evidence of human occupation.

The church I went to for Mass is right beside a lake, perched up high as if to blanket the town under its mantle. Its setting prepares you already for the experience inside of simple beauty in both architecture and liturgy. I felt at home, as if I truly belonged there. I've had that experience before, in different parishes. It must be that my soul recognizes Home among people who sincerely seek Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment