The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

19 August 2009

Of nails and glue

Often when I write, I think it would be so good to have a digital camera. Then I could show you what I'm talking about - visual aids are useful tools, even for those of us who are word-driven.

About a month ago, I tore the nail of my left index finger at about the halfway down mark, to almost half way across. Got a picture of that in your mind? I didn't want it to tear all the way -- not being a big fan of pain, or discomfort even, come to that -- so I've been wearing a bandaid on that finger every day since. But I got to thinking how very long it will take for the nail to grow out to the point that the tear no longer strikes fear into my bowels, and realised a bandaid-a-day is not a viable option. So I scoured my favourite drugist for a solution, which turned out to be a kit containing glue and powder, a pretty triangular buffing instrument, and what I believe is called 'an orange stick'. I must impart some essential information to you: I am not an arts and crafts kinda gal. I don't work neatly or aptly with glues and powders, nor do I infer correctly from written directions.

The result is that I now have a hood and a bump on my left index finger, but I don't think I need to buy any more bandaids. I put enough glue on that sucker to...something extreme; I can't think of an analogy. It may not have been what they meant by 'a small amount', but then they also didn't say that I had to poke a hole into the tube either, so the instructions were open to interpretation right from the beginning, weren't they? Thought so. All the same, a picture in this case, would have been worth a thousand words.

No comments:

Post a Comment