The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

03 July 2012

Of doubt and trust - yesterday, today, and forever

Today is the Feast of St. Thomas the Apostle. Thomas the Doubter; he who didn't believe; the one who needed to see for himself.

I haven't looked into it, but perhaps Tess means Doubter in Aramaic or ancient Hebrew.  I've certainly had my moments of needing to touch and see for myself before believing.

Trust is a big issue, isn't it?  In his homily on Sunday, Father gave me a way of understanding that trust really is simple, with the right perspective. It came through these words: God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.


God is always with us, though our circumstances change.  God is God whether we get a raise or lose our job; have a baby or endure a hurricane.


When we experience strife, it is easy to doubt, to question, to fear. The thing is, God is no different in the midst of difficulty than He was before it began, or from how He will be when it has passed.  His providential care for us is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. His desire for our salvation is likewise the same. What does change is my willingness to trust Him because times are tough, or I've become lukewarm. I saw myself as a swimmer floundering in difficult waters - thrashing and struggling so hard I don't realize Assistance is right there. He is always right there.


Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever ~ Hebrews 13:8




No comments:

Post a Comment