The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

22 March 2017

Black crows on the corner

At the halfway point between parking lot and work place is a street corner with cobbled pedestrian zone and the walking man light with helpful countdown timer.

A David Attenborough of the human animal would find this a very interesting location from which to observe their subject in its natural habitat. Among the interesting specimens: the dressed in black office worker.

One morning I noticed that all five of the women waiting at the corner for their turn to cross (of which I was one), as well as the two who were crossing the other way, were clothed in head-to-toe black. We resembled a tiny unkindness of ravens. Each of us, in black winter coat over black trousers ending in black boots, with black bag slung over shoulders, with only minor differences for taste and style, were birds of a feather.

At the changing of the light we performed our dance en masse: a glance left then right, a cautious step off the curb, followed by quick steps across the cobblestones, black boots tapping, black bags bobbing... after which we parted, some darting left, some striding right, chins tucked down into our black coats, each of us moving at our own tempo to our own destination.

These particular birds, the dressed in black office worker, can be spotted at various watering holes in urban environments, where they clutch caffeinated beverages, yeasty baked things, or green salads in clear plastic boxes. They stride along sidewalks, heads turned toward the windows they pass, watching either their own reflection or the pretty items on display behind the glass.

Once safe in their own environments, with black coats removed, the David Attenborough of the human animal will discover that the unkindness of ravens was actually a collection of sparrows and starlings, doves and robins, cardinals and chickadees undercover in black feathers.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Esther. I was hoping that a certain admirer of crows I know would not be put off by this piece.

      Delete
  2. I look at my own attire...

    Black coat, black pants, black shoes. When I take off my coat, then some gray shows through. That's about as wild as I get. I'll have to Google "dodo" and see what color they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you saying you're going out of style?

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure I was ever in style!

      Delete
    3. Were you ever so out of style that you were on trend?

      Delete
    4. I think I may have been the person who inspired the TV show "What Not To Wear."

      Delete